Monday, August 25, 2008

Ariel, Belle, Skimbleshanks, Rum Tum Tugger, Debbie and Tiffany

My husband has certain likes and dislikes that might lead one to question his heterosexuality. I will vouch for the man and say he is indeed straight, (his affinity for Andrew Lloyd Webber aside) However, it's not always easy to defend the honor of one so enamored with Disney musicals, musical theatre and 80's pop.
One conversation that often comes up among Mark and friends is the Ariel vs. Belle comparison. I don't care what side you take. Mark is obviously in the Ariel camp. I don't know if it's the fish body or that later in the movie she becomes every man's dream. She has the perfect body of a Disney human without the ability to speak. Most men prefer Belle, but I can honestly say without any sarcasm...Mark is not like most men.
I'm used to the argument.
It's not as fay as the argument between two actor friends of mine over which cat they would be cast as in the musical Cats.
"I would totally be Rum Tum Tugger"
"You would not, I can't see you as a Rum Tum Tugger...you'd be...Skimbleshanks!"
"You take that back! I would soooo not be Skimbleshanks...you would be Skimbleshanks"
and so on.
I relay the Cats story so that the Ariel vs. Belle argument didn't sound so nellie. Unfortunately, Mark topped himself with a new argument.
"Debbie Gibson vs. Tiffany"
and then corrected himself by saying
"It's actually Deborah now."

4 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Gatchamark said...

Well, actually, there's really no comparison between Debbie Gibson and Tiffany. Everyone KNOWS that Debbie Gibson had real talent. I'm firmly in the Debbie Gibson camp, so I don't ever recall a Debbie vs. Tiffany argument! :)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Deonn said...

Don't you mean Deborah?

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Gatchamark said...

She'll always be Debbie to me!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Deonn said...

Which name is on the restraining order?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home