Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Great Pretender

Apparently this is strange. I brought up the topic in casual conversation with a group of my peers after tonight’s first Thursday Art Walk. Strangely, I am the only one in the group that admits to pretending to like something that I don’t. I find this hard to believe as I distinctly remember a time when one “peer” became really interested in Christian Rock for the two weeks that she was dating a Four Square Junior Pastor. Now that I think of it another nameless peer went through an obligatory Bette Midler phase when he finally “came out” that was not only dishonest it was so freakin cliché.

I like to think that we all do it to some extent. I think I may have finally outgrown it. I have always been pretty open and honest as to my likes and dislikes. I am not talking about being rude or disrespectful. I still remain diplomatic even complimentary after less than stellar dinner parties, theatre productions, art exhibits and romantic encounters. I am talking about the little white lies, the things you have convinced other people and possibly yourself that you enjoy.

The following is a list of things that I have pretended to like for no particular reason.

Sushi
Philip Glass
White Wine
Long Walks on The Beach
The Matrix
Halo
Figs
The Music Man
Comedy and Tragedy Masks
Gardening
Basketball
Casablanca
Clove Cigarettes
Talking on the phone


Things I do like but are kinda dorky so I don’t usually cop to them.
Here you have it, my list of selected guilty pleasures.

Cap’n Crunch with Crunchberries
Barry Manilow
Spray Can Easy Cheese
Regis Philbin
Klezmer music
Peeling dried glue off my hands
Lawn Darts
Dolly Parton
Jackass
The Bangles
Re-runs of Sanford and Son
Les Miserables
Tater Tots
Little House on the Prairie
compulsively posting to my blog…It’s becoming a habit.

5 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger J.R. said...

Halo? I'm crushed.

Aside from Halo my "have pretended to like" has some items in common with yours.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regis Philbin?
I pretend to like Grey's Anatomy.

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, you really hate talking on the phone? Is it something I said?
Marie

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are a few of mine that don't overlap with Deonn's as many of mine do:
cats
music without words
wine -- especially white wine
Yanni
my friend's ex-wife
Cats

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Deonn said...

Yeah the phone call thing. I hate talking to strangers or people I don't know very well on the phone. I have no problem talking to people in person but I hate making phone calls. It's actually kind of a phobia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home