Thursday, March 27, 2008

Three Months to the Big Day

I have spent the last decade producing and directing musicals. The typical project lasts about six weeks and all of the production value happens in the last few days before opening night. There is a lot of running around, sleepless nights, and trips to Goodwill. I craft props such as blocks of cheese out of pieces of wood, paint and magic marker and a fake chicken leg out of dryer sheets, masking tape and a wine key (I am the Macgyver of props, by the way) I stress out, caffeinate, get really bitchy and it always works out in the end.

A few months ago, I had the same attitude about wedding planning. Wow, I am naive. I didn't really think moving the wedding from the end of August to the end of June would be that big of a deal. I am a procrastinator by nature and the thought of doing anything 6 months in advance seems preposterous to me. I look at the wedding checklists and find it silly how long everything takes. It should be like producing a show. I keep thinking that, but when you produce a show you are dealing with other people who operate on that last minute, pull it all together schedule. The lighting guys at PNTA are willing to help you out the day of the show and you make last minute trips to Display and Costume for the odds and end that you forgot along the way. I think weddings should be the same way. Unfortunately just because I think something, doesn't mean it's a reality. So I am off to pull some invitations out of thin air and try to find the phone number for the photographer. There is so much to do...that is why I am sitting at the Issaquah Tully's posting to my blog.

My mother is insisting on putting a wedding announcement in the paper. She requested a picture...I like this one.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Gigi said...

Ok, Deonn, I have to confess. I have been lurking here for a while now. But reading that your mother wants a picture in the paper just cracked me up.

A wedding isn't all that hard to pull together is you are willing to be flexible.

Will it be odd for you to have your cousin Ginnie reading your blog? I always think I am your aunt, but I'm not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home