Thursday, October 11, 2007

Everyone Loves Jason Robert Brown

In every relationship there are fundamental differences. Mark and I have much in common but can one overcome such a monumental clash in opinion? I will maintain that while opinions are purely subjective, he is quite clearly wrong.
He is a fan of Jason Robert Brown
I am not a fan of Jason Robert Brown
Among young musical theatre performers, drama geeks, recently outed gay boys and much of the general public, Mark's high opinion of "JRP" would be in the majority.
I stand almost alone in my dislike for Mr. Browns music.
"JRP" as his apostles call him is a musical theatre composer. His followers will defend his banal lyrics to the death. I once criticized his work to a fellow actor and nearly had my head severed from my neck.
It was almost as messy as the great "Skimbleshanks vs. Rum Tum Tugger" battle of '99. An argument between two young chorus boys in Mame nearly ended in fistacuffs. This was the actual conversation.
"If I were in the cast of Cats I would play Rum Tum Tugger"
"No you wouldn't I would totally be cast as Rum Tum Tugger before you...you would be Skimbleshanks!"
"YOU TAKE THAT BACK!"
Seriously. (neither of them were cast as Rum Tum Tugger in a local production of Cats...in fact neither of them were cast in the local production of Cats)
I guess this post was just kinda pointless...much like the lyrics of Jason Robert Brown. They just kinda go on and on like a run on sentence that goes on and on just for the sake of going on and on.
"I could eat some fish from last July
But it wouldn't be as awful as a summer in Ohio
Without cable, hot water, Vietnamese food, or you
I saw your book at a Border's in Kentucky
Under a sign that said "New and Recommended"
I stole a look at your picture on the inside sleeve and then
I couldn't leave Richard, who was with me, got uncharacteristically quiet
And he said, "All things considered, I guess you don't have to buy it"
So I smile like Mona Lisa, and I lay my Visa down"

I don't get it...but everyone else does.
To me his lyrics are much like those blog posts where people tell you what they had for lunch and document every moment of their day.
People love the guy...go figure.

Of course I am the only person I know who didn't like the Matrix or Forrest Gump.
It's too bad everyone elses opinion is totally wrong.

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ariel said...

I was obviously the best Rum Tum Tugger EVAR!!

-RTT circa '93

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out how Jason Robert Brown becomes "JRP".

I, for one, know that Parade is an awesome musical, just like your awesome boyfriend. :)

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Deonn said...

Oops I am not as talented with the acronyms as some folks. I wonder if the EBA could help me.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

Deonn, I think you know that I hold a staunch dislike for The Matrix as well, which puts me in about as small a minority among my fellow computer geeks as you are among theater geeks.

As for JRB, I don't feel a strong need to look too far past Urban Cowboy: The Musical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home