Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ginger Good For Sick

Those of you who know me, know this annoying little Deonn fact. I am allergic to ginger. While it is not one of those insta-death allergies like people have to peanuts and bees. (I feel sorry for those folks, I could give up peanuts but I do loves me a heaping bowl o' Bees.) It is still pretty unpleasant. Unlike peanuts, manufacturers are not required to list ginger as an ingredient. They can simply classify it as "Spices" This sadly rules out most commerically made pumpkin pie, carrot cake and baked goods with the word "Holiday" in the title. Come on feel sorry for me. Pooooor Deonn. I can live without the goodies, but vavigating Asian restaurants gets tricky.
I love Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese food. The problem is, unless the server speaks English quite fluently, these can be dangerous places. I have the utmost respect for people from other countries who are struggling with the English language. I will be the first to admit that I only speak one language and at times that's even questionable. That being said. when it comes to a food allergy you really want to be understood.

Here is a typical evening at any Asian restaurant.

Me-Does the (insert any menu item) have ginger in it?
Waiter-You want Ginger?
Me-No
Waiter-No ginger.
Me-Is there Ginger in it?
Waiter-If you want ginger...
Me-No, I can't have ginger. I am allergic
Waiter-(looking confused even though I said it REALLY LOUD...I am such a moron)
Me-Ginger make me sick
Waiter-Ahh yes Ginger good for sick.
Me-No, Ginger makes me sick
Waiter-Ginger very good for you.

At this point I order whatever I had the last time I was there.
It could be worse. I could be allergic to wheat or dairy or alcohol. It's not like I'll die if I eat ginger...I'll just wish to.

Did you know that Awapuhi is the Hawaiian word for ginger? I didn't until I used some lovely Awapuhi shampoo. It's hard to read the ingredients on the back of the bottle when your eyes are swollen shut.

Just a little plug for one of my favorite Thai Places.
Tonight I dined at May Thai in Wallingford. I LOVE that place. Not only do they have the most Beautiful building actually brought over piece by piece from Thailand, they have awesome food and elegant presentation. Most of their food lacks that evil root unless listed in the description. The cucumber kazis aren't bad either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home